Click on the topic you would like to see:
- List of Recommended Foods for Giant Breeds
- Dog Food: Choosing the Right Products
- Scoring Your Dog Food
|List of Recommended Foods for Giant Breeds|
Food with Grains:
Food with No Grain:
|Dog Food: Choosing the Right Products|
Dog food is a very important aspect in owning a dog. We understand that many pet owners may not even realize that what they are currently feeding is not in the best interest of their pet. We also recognize that most individuals do not have the time to fully educate themselves, so we have done the research for you!
Dog Food brands available in the grocery store or mass retailers are generally based on cheap byproducts of the human food industry, with artificial colorings and flavorings, and contain ingredients our pets were never meant to eat.
Menadione in any form (also listed as vitamin K3 or vitamin K supplement)
Preservatives: BHA (Butylated Hydroxysanisole), BHT (Butylated Hudroxytoluene), Tethoxyquin, Sodium Metabisulphite
Sweeteners: Cane molasses, corn syrup in any form, sugar, sorbitol, sucrose, fructose, glucose, ammoniated gylcyrrhizin, propylene glycol
Dyes: Blue 2, Red 40, Yellow 5 and 6, other numbered dyes
Protein: All generic meat ingredients that do not indicate a species (meat, meat byproducts, meat byproduct meal, meat meal, meat and bone meal, blood meal, fish, fish meal, poultry, poultry byproducts, poultry meal. poultry byproduct meal, liver, liver meal, glandular meal etc). Byproduct meals, even if a species is identified (chicken/beef/turkey/lamb byproduct meal etc), since highly questionable ingredients may be used in these rendered products.
Fats and Oils: Non-specific sources such as animal fat, poultry fat, vegetable oil, generic fish oil, mineral oil.
Carbohydrates: Fragments like potato product, middlings/mids or mill run of any kind. Unspecified grain sources like cereal food fines, distiller's gran fermentation solubles.
Fruits and Vegetables: Apple pomace, grape pomace, citrus pulp
Flavorings: Any highly rendered products (digests of any kind), ingredients of unknown origin (meat broth), glandular meal, artificial
What to look for:
Chelated or sequestered minerals (also labeled as chelates, proteinates, amino acid chelates or complexes, polysaccharide complexes)
Carbohydrates: Whole ground grains such as rice, oats, barley, millet, etc, potatoes, sweet potatoes. Corn often gets an undeserved bad reputation and while it is not acceptable as a main source of protein, as a carbohydrate it is no better and no worse than other grains.
Fiber: Depending on the inclusion of ingredients that are naturally high in fiber (ex brown rice, oats, certain fruits or vegetables), a food may or may not include specific, isolated types of fiber. Beet Pulp is another ingredient that has an undeserved bad reputation and is a gentle, beneficial source of fiber that is well tolerated and suitable as a source of nutrition for the beneficial bacteria that reside in the intestinal tract.
These websites will help educate you so that you can make the right choices for your "best friend":
|Scoring Your Dog Food|
Scroll down to see the list of dog food that have already been scored.
How to grade your dog's food:
Here are some foods that have already been scored.
· Alpo Prime Cuts / Score 81 C
· Artemis Large/Medium Breed Puppy / Score 114 A+
· Authority Harvest Baked / Score 116 A+
· Authority Harvest Baked Less Active / Score 93 B
· Beowulf Back to Basics / Score 101 A+
· Bil-Jac Select / Score 68 F
· Blackwood 3000 Lamb and Rice / Score 83 C
· Blue Buffalo Chicken and Rice / Score 106 A+
· Burns Chicken and Brown Rice / Score 107 A+
· Canidae / Score 112 A+
· Chicken Soup Senior / Score 115 A+
· Diamond Maintenance / Score 64 F
· Diamond Lamb Meal & Rice / Score 92 B
· Diamond Large Breed 60+ Formula / Score 99 A
· Diamond Performance / Score 85 C
· Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Ultra Premium / Score 122 A+
· Dick Van Patten’s Natural Balance Venison and Brown Rice / Score 106 A+
· Dick Van Patten's Duck and Potato / Score 106 A+
· EaglePack Holistic / Score 102 A+ Eagle Pack Holistic Chicken / Score 114 A+
· Eagle Pack Natural / Score 94 A
· Eagle Pack Large and Giant Breed Puppy Food/ Score 94 A
· Eukanuba Adult / Score 81 C
· Eukanuba Puppy / Score 79 C
· Flint River Senior / Score 101 A+
· Foundations / Score 106 A+
· Hund-n-Flocken Adult Dog (lamb) by Solid Gold / Score 93 B
· Iams Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Premium / Score 73 D
· Innova Dog / Score 114 A+
· Innova Evo / Score 114 A+
· Innova Large Breed Puppy / Score 122 A+
· Kirkland Signature Chicken, Rice, and Vegetables / Score 110 A+
· Member’s Mark Chicken and Rice / Score 84 C
· Merrick Wilderness Blend / Score 127 A+
· Nature’s Recipe / Score 100 A
· Nature’s Recipe Healthy Skin Venison and Rice / Score 116 A+
· Nature’s Variety Raw Instinct / Score 122 A+
· Nutra Nuggets Super Premium Lamb Meal and Rice / Score 81 C
· Nutrience Junior Medium Breed Puppy / Score 101 A+
· Nutrisource Lamb and Rice / Score 87 B
· Nutro Max Adult / Score 93 B
· Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice / Score 98 A
· Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy / Score 87 B
· Nutro Natural Choice Puppy Wheat Free / Score 86 B